Thursday, November 13, 2014

NEW Smashbox Double Exposure Palette: Review & Swatches

Since I won't be having a Friday Favorites this week, I thought I'd write a quick blog post on the new Smashbox Double Exposure palette that I just received in the mail today. At the time I bought it, it was a Sephora exclusive for VIB Rouges only, but I'm sure it'll be available to everyone soon! It was $52.

This palette is marketed as having 14 shades "that uniquely transform into 28" when applied wet with water. So you'll see in my swatches below that I show them wet and dry for you. I used water, since that's what they suggest on the packaging. Honestly, I think this is a little bit gimmicky marketing, since technically any eyeshadow can be "transformed" when you apply it with a wet brush. But maybe the shadows are formulated in such a way that they won't develop that weird hard top layer when used wet? More thoughts on this later...

The packaging is very similar to the Full Exposure palette (which I don't own, so I won't be able to compare for you here, unfortunately). The palette itself has a really cool metallic look to it and is made of a thick, high quality cardboard. I really like the packaging! 


And now for swatches. In my opinion, there isn't a huge difference between the wet and dry swatches. The lighter shades seem a bit more vibrant, but the darker shades seem to work better dry. And actually, things got pretty weird with some of the mattes when applied wet. Some of them, like Fig, got that hard film on top that I had to scratch of with a tissue. So these shadows don't seem to be formulated any differently than any other powder shadow. Boo! 
Swatches left to right: Silver, Mauve, Peony, Blanc, Quartz, Flushed, Veiled
(Top row swatched dry. Bottom row swatched wet with water)

Swatches left to right: Midnight, Temper, Haze, Noir, Copper, Fig, Espresso
(Top row swatched dry. Bottom row swatched wet with water)

Overall, I think this palette is just ok, which is so disappointing. I was so excited to get this palette! But I haven't used them on my eyes yet, so maybe they'll perform better on the eyes than they swatch. Here's hoping! Keep an eye out on my YouTube channel for a review and tutorial soon! - Edit to add -  Here's the video review!

What are your thoughts on the Smashbox Double Exposure palette?

No comments:

Post a Comment